Tuesday, January 20, 2009

! NEW BLOG !

(Mike)

hey gangsters.. welcome to our new blog..

I sprained my ankle pretty bad last week.. sad day.. I was chasing down a fast break on defense and I had a good chance of blocking the upcoming layup when as opposing player set an illegal pick.. our legs got tangled up and I put my entire weight, sprinting and all, on my ankle which had rolled underneath me.. I felt my outside ankle bone hit the floor, I heard the pop, and the pain hit instantly.. I hobbled over to our bench and tied my shoe tighter to keep the swelling down.. We have only 6 guys on our team, and during a timeout, Vaughn leaned over and said, "walk it off.. we need you back"

I have a fairly high tolerance for pain and the sting went away after a few minutes so I finished the game.. I hit some clutch free throws down the stretch and we won by 3.. but I probably should have sat out for the game..




When we got home, my dear wife sprung into nurse mode.. she called it an inversion sprain, and told me that my calcaneofibular ligament was stretched beyond its limits.. She wrapped it up in an ace bandage and iced it every hour til we fell asleep on the couch, keeping my foot elevated on the armrest..

I love her.. she is very caring and is going to make a wonderful mother..

Although it ached like a beast, it did not swell at all.. It looked normal sized.. I woke up at midnight or so and stumbled into bed, but along the way I felt my foot tingle and I felt the swelling start.. I looked down and watched my ankle inflated like a balloon.. It went from zero to hero in 10 seconds.. I wanted to record it with our camera, but by the time I hobbled over to the table, my ankle was fully swollen..

Here's a pic taken right after it swelled up..



yup.. grotesque.. disgusting.. here's another..



anyways.. It's been a week and its healing nicely.. Things have been good financially, and I was worried that we'd have to dip into savings if this ankle kept me from working.. it's amazing that I've gone an entire week without even climbing a ladder, let alone getting up on a snow-covered roof with a bad ankle..

small miracles..

Speaking of work, we have established a 6 month plan.. Kendra finishes school in April (HOORAY!), and until then, I'll keep working my job.. just paying bills and getting by.. My business is somewhat limited as we have no capital to invest and direct sales are difficult in Utah's winters.. After she finishes school, we start a more lucurative life.. we head out on a summer program with Dish One, doing more of what I've been doing for the last 4 years.. Installing Dish like a mad-man.. This summer program means long days, but will pay off both of our student loans and the debt that Dish Tech has picked up, and most importantly produce enough capital to invest in my business..

Originally I signed up as a experienced tech, which makes apx 30,000, but since then, they've even opened up a new office and they offered me the manager position where I'd pick up over rides on all the office's accounts.. overrides contribute another 10,000 in addition to my own installs.. YAY :)

That's the 6 months we have set right now.. With the money we get from the summer program, I plan on taking the 15,000 and opening a storefront for my business in Phoenix with a sales buddy of mine and setting up shop down south.. I'll handle the installation and business management responsibilities, while my partner will handle sales and recruiting of salesmen.. Phoenix will be warm in the winter time and allow direct sales to continue in the 'off-season'.. Kendra wants to work and will get a job as a teacher in Arizona.. the paycheck is not important, or required for financial stability, but she'll be doing what she wants and she'll be happy..

It's exciting.. debt free in personal life, growing assets in business life, opportunities galore, and my favorite.. In the fall, I will sign up for an assistant coach in football at a local high school.. I abosolutley feel at home when I am working with high school kids coaching football.. It is my passion, and my adrenaline-blood pumping rush in life.. I love it :)

Coaching high school football will maintain my sanity in life.. it is my domain where I am in love with what I do.. My business will provide financial stability and by hiring someone to do my job in the fall, I'll have the time I need to prusue my dream job of coaching football..

boo yah :)

Life is good.. Kendra and I have hopes and dreams to spend our lives with family and love ones, doing what brings us joy..

5 comments:

Julie Barnes said...

What an AWESOME 6 month plan. I am so excited for you two. I can't believe Kendra is about to graduate from college. I would really like to attend her graudation! What a major accomplishment. You two sound like you are totally set. WAHOO! (sorry to hear about the ankle, yikes!)

Anonymous said...

Hope you're feeling better there, Mike. I can't believe you played out the rest of the game!

Sounds like a lot of great things are coming your way. Best of luck in Phoenix... I've always loved that city! :)

Team Skousen said...

THAT just looks painful. Hope you feel better soon!

Jenna D. said...

BLAAAAAH!!!! THAT IS GROSS! And it looks like it hurt a lot. I hope you are doing better!! I love you both! Let's be friends forever, got it?

The Pacheco's said...

Man, that sprang looks all sorts of wrong. haha. Hope that its better now, or at least no so distorted.
I like your 6 month plan. sounds very good. Do you know where you'll be going for the summer job yet? Let me know when ya do! ITs been too long since we played, and even longer until we play again :(. We miss you guys!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

background