Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Lock Down

"There is a gathering on the east yard."

That was what came across the radio as I sat in my locked office. I was quietly working on paperwork while the inmates were at lunch.

"I am initiating an ICS." Those words are never good, especially if followed by, "The East yard is on lock down. Close the dorms, any Inmates in there will remain in there."

So my curiosity was officially peaked. I stod next to my window and saw waves of orange heading toward the spline (the fenced walkway staff use to walk the yard). There must be a fight and everyone is rushing to see it.

"Taylor!" Taylor, we need to get to a secure area." Really? I am in my locked classroom, in my locked office... How much more secure can I be? So I followed the officer to the classroom next door and sat with the rest of the staff from the building. We listened to the radio traffic, since there was no longer a good veiw from the window.

"A team stage."
"B team stage."
"A team deploy."
"DART stage in the armory."

Ok this is getting serious if DART is staging....they are the only ones with weapons.

"B team stand down."
"Dorm officers open the doors and allow any inmates that wish not to be a part of this to go home."

What?! Ok, by now we figured out that the inmates were protesting. What was the greivence... Not enough jobs? Racial inequality for jobs? Sack lunches everday? Property not running smoothly? All valid reasons, but the reason for the "riot" was a suspected gay correctional officer who was positioned on the yard...Really? Thats what the hubbub was all about?

So I survived my first prison, uh, incedent. Amazing isn't it?

1 comment:

Julie Barnes said...

Sounds a little scary... silly inmates... they are in prison. They don't have RIGHTS there!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

background