Monday, February 1, 2010

Doing the Academic Dance

Oh how I have missed thee! Holy cow I forgot just how much I LOVE biology! Can I just say that? Who in thier right mind would want to go back to college after they have graduated with a usable degree? I will tell you. Someone who is madly in love. Today was my first day. Granted I already missed the first week because I wasn't sure I really wanted to do this, but here I am, falling all over again. Today in Microbiology we briefly, and I mean briefly, covered the production of energy. When I was in exercise physiology this was the the most facinating thing, how you can follow exaclty what you ate, how it turned to energy, then how your body uses that energy to produce motion and movement. To understand the complexity of changing molecules and the folding of protein and the chemical reactions that have such order and...I am starting to drool a little bit.

Sorry I imagine that I must have totally bored you. You probably got that glazed look like Mike gets when I try to explain to him that we are really just a bunch of positive and negative charges...Oh man, there I go again. Wow, there is just such beauty in order. I love learning about the human body and its chemistry.

So a while back I read a talk by Cleon Skousen. He talked on the Atonement. He broke it down to the as I call it *Eternal Biology* It brought a new sense of purpose to the tiniest of God's creatures, down to the atom's quarks and gluons (now you think I am just making things up). I have wondered for a long while now, what exactly is God's power? What are the laws in which He must operate? What are eternal laws? Now you are probably saying, but how will knowing this make you a better day to day person?

I like, ok scratch that, NEED to know what is going on, how everything works and how it all fits together. I need to know the plan so I can do everything I can to make sure it goes, well according to plan.

I am a planner. I get super crazy mad when I make plans and someone totally disregards them. Like when I was growing up, I would lay in bed Friday night and plan my Saturday...then at about 7:30 I would be expected to do whatever chores were listed on the frige under my name.

I guess you really don't need to know those things, but after a good ponder, and a couple of prayers, God gave me some tender mercies that make me have much more respect for the world around me. And I got a whole lot more respect and compassion for my Heavenly Father and my Savior. It makes me want to live better.
I guess that learning more about biology and chemistry makes me appriciate all the hard work and great detail that went into this great Plan of Salvation. I will never know exactly how everything works and or how amazingly detailed it is, down to the quarks and gluons and beyond.

Dang this is apparently going on longer than I had previously anticiapted. I guess there was just a huge blog growing inside me that needed to be released.

3 comments:

S.N.D said...

So I am not in love with Science. It's just not my thing. But one semester I studied Physical Science for GE, and I happened to really had a good Professor. And oh my goodness, it just amazed me! And I basically agree with all that you said. I feel like I understand Science a lot better because of that class. And I began to have more deeper appreciation about the whole Creation and Plan of Salvation.

Julie Barnes said...

Science, biology and chemestry, oh my! I was never good at either; however, I think that was due to the fact that I was overwhelmed with other school classes. Sounds like a lot of fun. Can't wait to see how this turns out :)

Team Skousen said...

I agree with Julie...I am also bad at science!!! I just believe things work, but I never know why. Craig ALWAYS knows why. I should work on that! Anyways good luck at school!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

background